Adopt a Rescued Dog !

KIDO also rescues abandoned and abused dogs providing them with food & shelter until a good home is found for them.

We sometimes ask ourselves who the rescuer is and who is the rescued, because in many cases we witnessed how the unplanned relationship with a rescued animal can operate healing and a positive transformation in the human involved, giving him/her a great opportunity to transcend their own personal issues by taking care of another creature’s life.

At KIDO animal sanctuary the rescued dogs live freely within the compound, consisting of several acres of undeveloped forested coastal hill land with access to a rocky beach and sea.

Fences built within KIDO Foundation compound separate groups from 2 to 5 dogs in different sections of forested compound, with shelters, shade and sunny areas. In turns, 5 or more of these dogs now resident at KIDO are brought to the beach daily for swimming or outing. KIDO’s volunteers, who join us for our nesting sea turtle monitoring and tagging program, often give us a hand to care for the dogs, helping with the sometimes complicated rescue operations.

Volunteers temporarily keep one or more as pets in their house residence and for outings.

Online-adoption programme

By participating in the online-adoption program, you help to provide funding for their animals’ food and medications, which amount to hundreds of dollars per animal per year. 

With 100 USD/year you partly adopt the dog, meaning there can be others to adopt the same animal. 

With 300 USD first year and 250 USD consecutive years, you entirely adopt the animal. You receive a certificate of adoption and a yearly newsletter about your adopted pet.

You can also give the adoption as a Christmas or birthday gift to someone dear to you and be sure to make them happy. For more information about the adoptions e-mail                                                                                                         and tell us which one of these great dogs you would like to help out.

These are some of the stories of our rescued friend: 


Felipe, rescued out of a garbage bin

Felipe, rescued out of a garbage bin

Felipe (age 11)

Felipe was one of three puppies we found dumped in a garbage bin.  His two sisters were adopted by a family on the main island of Grenada two months later, but Felipe remained traumatized and, though he is affectionate and kind, his irrepressible incontinence requires special care (and rubber boots).  He shares a compound with his buddy friend Nemo.




Calimero post surgery

Calimero post surgery

Calimero throwing his charms

Calimero throwing his charms


He was the STAR of the pack! 11 years ago, a shaken slim black puppy with a badly broken hind leg was brought to KIDO inside a blood soaked cardboard-box by two adolescents from the nearby hamlet. Run over by a speeding car along the village road, the shattered bone of his rear left leg was sticking out of his thigh.

Calimero needed urgent surgery! Unfortunately the only sea ferry connecting daily the island of Carriacou to the main island of Grenada (a thirty mile rough run) was temporarily out of order and Cali had to wait two long days before being accepted as an emergency patient at the Small Animal Clinic of St. George’s University in Grenada. The veterinarian decided that the best thing to do for Cali was to amputate his leg. The delay had made it impossible to join the broken bones together successfully and gangrene was a serious possibility by then.

Cali was kept at the (private) animal hospital for two weeks and Dario sailed over to Grenada to bring the three legged black pup back to his new home at KIDO Sanctuary, in the thick wooded hills of northern Carriacou island.  Fortunately, this tragedy did not break Calimero’s great free spirit and he grew to become a uniquely creative dog, running his three thin legs all about the forest, gullies and the hills.  Sometimes Calimero escorts our volunteer team on night beach patrols and he was the first to subtly locate and point to a nesting turtle hidden in the bush, a success event to which he grinned broadly, as if knowingly being part of the conservation operation.

Cali’s range of articulate vocalizations won him the main character role in a Youtube mini video series scripted and filmed by Tom Tom, our turtle monitoring expert volunteer, who had recognized Cali’s movie star skills (see links)

Calimero also graciously lent his vocals for KIDO’s original Puppet play “Brothers for Life”, interpreting Mopsy, the talking dog puppet.



Nemo, rescued from drowning off Gun Point

Nemo, rescued from drowning off Gun Point

Nemo, a few years later

Nemo, a few years later

Nemo (age 10)

One early morning, just before dawn, Dario motored our patrol boat to inspect the lone beaches of the Nature Park, checking for tracks of nesting sea turtles  (since 2002 Kido Foundation teams have conducted all night and early morning patrols to protect these nesting endangered species and their precious hatchlings).

In an area notorious for rough waves and strong coastal sea currents, he spotted a speedboat ahead and a man throwing something overboard and then moving away at high speed. Puzzled by the suspicious behavior, Dario approached the site only to find …two puppy dogs desperately struggling to stay afloat in the rough waves.

There was little time to waste and the puppies were now drifting close to jagged rocks pounded by heavy surf: not a safe place to land nor to ride a boat.  With a tricky maneuver Dario positioned the boat as close as possible to the tiny brown puppies bobbing in and under water, yet trying to avoid wrecking the vessel on the rocks. Dario began to whistle hard. Nemo heard the whistle first and strong mindedly inched toward the boat, but his sister was hardly afloat, going down gulping seawater. After grabbing Nemo out into safety Dario then searched for the other drowning pup, arm deep in the foaming white water.

The tall waves were beginning to shove the stalled boat too close to the rocks, luckily the pup was grabbed and pulled out just before it was too late for all, the idled engine roared into gear, the boat sped out of danger and all was well.

The female pup was soon adopted by a local family, but no one came for Nemo and he remained with us. Felipe is his best mate and when both rush down to the beach, none like to get close to the water. Wonder why!



Sophie 2

Sophie, cancer survivor, fully enjoys her life!


She proved to have the sweetest personality of all our rescued dogs. Voted Mascot of volunteer teams at KIDO, Sophie was discovered in a secluded uninhabited cove by Dario, during a nesting turtle coastal patrol by kayak.  Spotted from the sea on the edge of the beach she was almost mistaken for an opossum, crouched in the sand and seemingly waiting for Dario’s first ‘move’.  He encouraged her to come closer, she did so, slowly dragging herself belly-down across the hot sand, closer and closer to Dario, who was still afloat on his kayak, a few feet off the beach…then, Attack ! This dog Dario had never seen before, suddenly jumped into the kayak, snugly settled herself on his lap and… ready to go home!

We found that Sophie had just been nursing her litter, she still had some milk left and was bleeding from her vagina. A visiting veterinarian from the Grenada SPCA diagnosed that Sophie had an advanced vaginal tumor causing internal bleeding.  Following two localized injections of Vincristine (a chemotherapy agent), the tumor was in remission for 10 year.


Zhawe, in full power!

Zhawe, in full power!

Zhawe, too weak to stand the day after rescue

Zhawe, too weak to stand the day after rescue

Zhawe We found this beautiful pitch black short haired mixed Labrador literally ‘dying’ to be rescued not far from KIDO Station’s entry road. She was in a terrible state of starvation.

We dreaded that she was already dead, lying motionless in the dirt road, no one else in sight, till we presented her with a bowl of food. Then, just her black tail thumped a bit over the ground… we sat beside her and she barely stretched her mouth to lick the food, THEN she ate ravenously. After the third huge bowl (we walk prepared…) she followed us, in no hurry and fell asleep on our veranda.

We later found out that Zhawe was one of the several female breeder dogs who fell victims of improvised (and irresponsible) local puppy mill ‘enterprises’. The female serves only for the purpose of producing puppies to be sold, but often the mother is kept with very little food even during pregnancy and lactation. After the puppies are sold and the mother cannot recover her strength, the ‘entepreneur’ abandons the dog to her cruel destiny and seeks for another breeder female to exploit.

We managed to rescue four puppy mill mothers in the last few years!

Zhawe doubled in size and she was a playful, happy and strong dog, she LOVED to run, swim and dive. Once, one of our volunteers was swimming with many dogs at KIDO bay and dove down to examine a bottom shark he had spotted and, to his surprise, Zhawe also dove deep down alongside him, reaching a mere foot away from that finned gray mass of muscles…beginning to feel unnerved.



Sad looking Bella survived the ordeal

Sad looking Bella survived her many ordeals

Bella (age 10)

At the time of her rescue Bella was suffering from painful back seizures that periodically kept her stiff on the ground, like a stuffed animal, unable to even stand up. The vet from the Small Animal Clinic of St. George’s University told us that this dramatic condition might improve when growing up or finally paralyze the puppy. She indeed improved and now Bella runs without any problem. Yet, her daring determination to stand her ground, no matter what the size of her confronting counterpart, brings her sometimes into trouble with other dogs. Her right eye was compromised by another rescued female a few years ago as Bella sneaked close to steal her food! No one wants a one eyed female, but to us she remains: Bella, beautiful.



Zazee, the dog who shouldn’t have lived

Zazee, the dog who shouldn’t have lived

Zazee (age 9)

Zazee had been run over by a bus. His adoptive parent, a child from the village in the valley, alerted us immediately and we brought the sad mess up the hill to KIDO for examination. This large pup was evidently in excruciating pain, breathing fast and heavily, in total panic, all four legs appeared paralyzed and he had extreme jerking head. Fortunately we were able to send Zazee via ferry to the Small Animal Clinic of St. George’s University and the vet reported that when she opened the crate she thought that the puppy was dead! Not quite, though! As they say here in the West Indies: Ah ent’ dead yet, mun!

Zazee, spoon fed

Zazee, spoon fed

Zazee spent several weeks at the hospital and became the mascot of all the vets and nurses for his strong will to survive the ordeal. One leg was broken and the nerves connected to all 4 legs were damaged. When we received back Zazee he could barely stand or walk, but, with much careful exercise and his stamina to make it, he slowly reemerged to life.

Zazee at the Animal Hospital

Zazee at the Animal Hospital

Today Zazee is a playful and most excitable reckless fun creature, always ready for new adventures. He found his own ‘funny’ yet effective way to walk, jump, chase lizards and he taught himself to climb and descend steep steps carefully, but swiftly. He shows that he is very happy to be alive!  The vet who succeeded to bring Zazee back to the living still asks of him and enjoys receiving photos and assessment reports about his condition. Zazee is indeed a heartbreaking living miracle!



Lucky, the day of her arrival at KIDO

Lucky, the day of her arrival at KIDO

Happier Lucky with volunteer Piero, who did his utmost taking care of her

Lucky fully recovered with permanent scar on her back

Lucky fully recovered with permanent scar on her b





Lucky (age 6)

The sad story of Lucky: starved for 9 months, kept short tied 24/7, hidden in a backyard by an improvised ‘breeder’, a young woman this time. Lucky was meant to be her moneymaking puppy mill female. Under total stress and degradation she chewed her own litter at birth. Before her ordeal with her girl slave master (who named her Lucky!), she was living with a person who cared and looked after her. At the time she was diagnosed to have a severe Demodex condition and was treated by a visiting vet kindly volunteering for the Grenada SPCA.

Then Lucky was taken back by her ‘owner‘ for her ‘imposed’ duty to make $ puppies and by the time we found her again we could not recognize that she was the same dog we had known only a year earlier, but for her bald patch on her back. She was a walking skeleton. Luckily after abundant energizing food, love, attention and freedom at Kido she regained her weight and her playful and inquisitive nature re-surfaced. The slow healing bald patch on her back is still there, but she does not suffer from itching.  KIDO will be her rightful refuge for as long as needed!



JobJob recovering

JobJob recovering

JobJob back from the Carriacou Animal Hospital

JobJob back from the Carriacou Animal Hospital

JobJob (age 4)

A charitable lady found him in a ditch, emaciated, soaked wet, full of scabs and with hardly any fur left. She brought him to the now fully operative Carriacou Animal Hospital. JobJob, only two months old, had also high fever and, once he reached a stable condition at the Hospital, KIDO adopted him. After a few months of recovering, fattening and enjoying playing with the other dogs it was time to neuter him. The operation went well, but a week later he developed increasing muscle tremors all over his body, jaw and eyes. High fever made JobJob breath frantically and the vets could not come to a consensus diagnose. The constant violent shaking (and vomiting) worsened, even while asleep, and more than one time we thought he could not make it…

Three weeks of feeding him broth with a syringe and administering his frequent medication (antibiotics) through his rattling jaws felt like an eternity, but slowly he did improve, shaking with less frequency and starting to stand on his feet one again…

JobJob is now happy and jumpy like he was a few months after his rescue and, needless to say, he’s the baby mascot of the lot.



Amber on her way to Carriacou Animal Hospital

Amber on her way to Carriacou Animal Hospital

Amber must have been starved long before rescue

Amber must have been starved long before rescue

Amber just before her new adoption

Amber just before her new adoption

Amber (age 3, likely)

One day, late afternoon in June 2013, a distant intermittent whining sound coming from the forested hills could be heard, we listened and thought it was maybe an iguana hunting dog across the valley. Then the whining became audible when a fisher speedboat was passing off KIDO bay. A clear call of distress; time to check this out on the ground. So Dario, with Ella and Tomer (our UK turtle volunteers) went on patrol through the forest in search of the source of this tearful scream. Within an hour they discovered a young female bulldog with an old rope and a rusty barbed wire tangled around her neck and tied to the ground, just a few feet off a 30ft rocky precipice.

Her face and neck had ballooned, due to the lengthy and bloody strangulation. She would have choked to death soon had we not found her. Swarms of flies were festering around her, and there, unable to free herself, digging the barbed wire collar into her neck and throat, she would whine for merci when she heard voices on a passing vessel offshore!

With much care and attention not to lose precarious foot grip and end down the ravine, KIDO rescue team freed with wire cutters the now collapsing creature, enveloped her in a blanket and brought her first home and drove her right away to the Carriacou Animal Hospital. This dog may have spent some three days in such conditions in the bush, but she appeared to have been starved for much longer than that.

Amber spent her recovery time at Kido under the tender care of Ella and bond between the two was as sudden as strong. During this happy time, three months, probably the first of her life, Amber revealed herself to be a loving and gentle creature and we could not figure out why she was so cruelly abandoned to die in the forest!

The answer came from the vets who spayed her. Probably Amber was another casualty of a failed improvised puppy mill operation. She had cysts in her uterus and could not have had a successful pregnancy because of this… therefore the abandonment, she was not useful as money making puppy machine!

Well, now Amber is well and happy, after Ella returned to the UK, we found a dog loving and caring family who adopted her (along with two abandoned dogs). Her trusting nature and desire to play shows that her early life ordeal belongs to the past; the only telltale of it is in a remaining furless ring scar under her neck and her big sad eyes asking now and then: why?



We dedicate this on-line dog-adoption program to the memory of Chalky, one of our early rescued dogs, who saved our lives…well, yes: three times.

Old Chalky happy and drying after a sea bath

Chalky’s story (died at age15 in 2007 and was buried at sea as a seadog)

When she was a puppy, Chalky, a waterfront-free mixed ‘blond’ Labrador, was run over by a bus in 1992; her intestines hanging out of a huge bloody wound in her torn belly, but the bus driver just kept on going. An animal lover, a Dutch young lady, crew on a small yacht nearby, saw the scene and rushed to pick Chalky up, pushing back the bowels where they belonged, inside.  The following buses would refuse to take her onboard with a bleeding dying dog in her arms, but eventually a taxi brought them to a vet clinic, where little Chalky remained for several weeks hanging in for her life. All stitched up, she survived and when we met her, a few months older, the pup was well and living on a sailboat with her rescuer and two more rescued dogs. We were happy to adopt Chalky as we had felt an instant bond with her and I’m sure she felt the same with us; her bulgy unblinking eyes stared with trepidation telling us that we now had a shipmatedog!

She showed immediately her love for life at sea on boats, big and small. She was at ease patrolling the deck, vigilantly checking the horizon, like an accomplished first mate.

Chalky’s life was to be happy and full of adventures, she loved to swim, ride on the bow of our boat dinghy, with her long pointed ears flapping in the wind and she did not miss even a single sailing catamaran trip with us.

The first time she saved our life occurred when we were swimming together (Dario, Marina and Chalky) on choppy waters around a rocky point off Kido bay and a speed boat was fast approaching in our direction.

The crew of the speeding boat had not seen us, as their bow was way up in the air, hammering the short waves we had not heard the boat’s engine as we were upwind. Chalky, swimming next to us, barked loud and just in time for us to see a towering hull almost above us… We dove deeper barely avoiding the propeller blades swirling like black scimitars close to our legs. The boat rushed between the dog and us and, as we re-emerged, expecting the worst, Chalky was safely floating in one piece and still barking ferociously at the fugitives!

The second time occurred when Dario and Chalkie did an overnight interisland passage, just the two of them onboard: an easterly wind picked up and the catamaran sailed much faster than planned, so they reached their coastal destination around 3am in a pitch black moonless night. The onshore wind blew harder on the sails from behind… and the twin long narrow hulls picked up speed rushing into the now calmer vast expanse of the bay where Dario planned to find an anchoring spot, steer into the wind, and drop the tall ballooning sails almost in one single operation; yet not a visible light or beacon to tell how far the coast really was…  Chalky, who was almost 60 feet up front on the bow, suddenly barked loud and… another dog immediately barked back, seemingly a mere boat-length ahead of the catamaran! In the split of a second Dario knew he was running steadfast into an anchored boat and barely managed to steer the catamaran around and away. Once again, thanks to Chalky’s alertness and cooperation, a disaster had been avoided.

The third time was in Barbados. We sailed there, with Chalky on board, to participate to the 1994 UN Small Island Development States convention with our socio-eco exhibition; we displayed our cartoons and collages exhibition on social-environmental conservation themes. We slept onboard and left the catamaran at anchor for the entire day, each of the fifteen convention days, no problems, good bay, good anchor, good watchdog. On the last busy day of our exhibition we returned late, around midnight, to board our boat anchored offshore. But we discovered that we had been broken into and robbed of much of our navigation equipment. And poor Chalky had a wound on her head, certainly inflicted by the robbers.

After medicating Chalky, we decided to report the theft to the harbor Police early next morning and went to sleep in our bunks. Around 3am we heard Chalky’s unmistakable bark of alert for danger and, following her aggressive growling, we found out that an intruder, a tall and big fellow, was still on board! More precisely, he was hanging on the mast support under the deck and he was climbing onboard again!

While Marina (brandishing a flare gun and acting as ferocious-ready-to-shoot as possible!) was keeping the intruder at bay (with Chalky’s unrelenting support), Dario radioed the coast guard and in less than one hour the thief was handcuffed and taken away by two officers. On the next morning the police told us that that night three men had boarded our catamaran, they were almost ready to leave with their loot when they heard our dinghy approach (around midnight, then!); two thieves ran away fast with a dinghy they came with, abandoning the third guy behind, but, unfortunately for him, he was not a good swimmer, and we were a long way offshore in a dark night, so he hid hanging from under the deck and waited.

If Chalky had not been with us, we might have not been able to report this story.




This entry was posted in Support. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.